Monday December 23, 2013
Even the most energy efficient home can still see higher electric and gas bills in the winter months – it’s inevitable. To keep your home running efficiently, try some tips from our quick list!
- Replace your furnace filter. Seems like an easy one, but a clogged filter can restrict airflow and increase energy use in your home. Replacing the filter once a month can really reduce your winter heating costs.
- Keeping shades and drapes open during the day will allow you to take advantage of the sun’s warmth and allow for a more efficient system. Close them at night to keep the heat in – as 25% of your heating bill each month can often be attributed to heat lost through your windows.
- If you’re in the market for new appliances – choose Energy Star-certified products. They’re made with advanced technologies that use 10-15% less energy and water than older models.
- Schedule seasonal maintenance on HVAC systems to be sure they’re in proper working order. If you run a fireplace, have your chimney swept, too!
- Weather stripping. Run weather strips along doorways and large windows. You’d be surprised how much cold air can seep through even the strongest doors and windows. Don’t forget your sliding glass doors!